Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sisters Sewn Together Mini

The idea for this little mini album came about when I found some vintage dress patterns as a junk store last spring. After some trial and error (I accidently misted the cover green and had to bleach it back) and some creative blocks, I've finally finished it! Yay!

The cover started as a plain canvas book cover. I added Tim Holtz distress inks to it for an old worn linen look. Then, I used scans from the dress patterns to create an iron-on for the cover. Unfortunately my cutting mat wasn't really heat-resistant and wound up a rippled mess. Add one destroyed fiskars cutting mat to the cost of the project....

The spine is decorated with wooden buttons and spools from Maya Road inked to look old. The floral trim, wood buttons, and spools are all hand stitched on. My friend Linda assures me that it's just fine, but I somehow feel like the cover is too plain. Don't be surprised if I go back and add some more stuff to it a little later.

Supplies: Maya Road; October Afternoon "Thrift Shop" and "Fly a Kite" Papers. Inks and paints from Ranger.

No comments: