Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Techniques on Tuesdays: Snow Card with "Faux Blizzard" Paint Technique

Ah, it's Tuesday again, and you know what that means... it's time for another technique!

As much I'd love for you all to think that my scrapbooking room is perfectly styled and that all of my projects just magically appear in simple perfection, made with my flawlessly manicured hands.... I have to break it to you, my endeavors are really far more "test kitchen" than a seamless craft segment ready for its prime time spotlight on The Martha Stewart Show. I know, I know... you're all just shocked by today's revelation.

...

...Aren't you!?

So anyway, always wanting to be an overachiever I felt the need to create what I like to call "the faux blizzard" techinque... well... um that or I accidentally managed to somehow get white paint all over my fingers, and then discovered that I had also unknowingly  managed to smear it all over my project. I'll let you decide which version of the story is the truth. *wink*

Supplies: Kraft cardstock - The Paper Studio; Patterned Papers - Little Yellow Bicycle; Letters - Tim Holtz Grungeboard; White Paint - Ranger; White Pen - Sharpie; Circle Punch - EK Success; Pearl - Queen&Co; Ribbon, Snowflake Punch -Martha Stewart

Here's how to create the "Faux Blizzard" Paint technique seen at the bottom of the card
  1. Get paint on your fingers. Not tons, but enough to create a few solid spots of paint on the kraft cardstock. 2. Do a little finger painting. (Anyone else thinking of a quote from the movie "The Cutting Edge" right now? No. Oh... um... never mind then.) Using your painty fingers add a few dots and a few streaks of solid white to the punched area. 
  2. Let solid paint dry. (If you're impatient like me, speed up the process with a heat gun.)
  3. Water down the paint in a Ranger Snow Cap dabber. You can do this by squirting a few shots of water from a mini mister and then mixing the water into the paint with a popsicle stick. Otherwise, sometimes (if you haven't used your paint in awhile) if you don't shake it before applying it, you can get a watery affect too.
  4. Swipe the top of the dabber across the die cut area to get a streaky paint effect. If it's too thick use a damp paper towel to lift off some of the paint until you get the desired effect.
  5. Make sure you do this BEFORE you add your patterned paper!


No comments: