Monday, August 30, 2010

Experimentation - Playing with Inks

My friend Linda and I got together for some unabashed creative experimentation awhile ago. I'd seen a Tim Holtz video for using compressed air with alcohol inks and wanted to try that technique out. She'd recently taken a class from a RangerU graduate and had a collection of technique tags she was going to teach me. So we got some dinner and got together to play with our creative toys. I have to tell you, it was like two little kids playing! We didn't worry about whether or not we were wasting supplies or if the idea wasn't going to work out. There were no wrong answers and not trying something wasn't an option. If you could think of it, we were trying it that night.

By the time the night was over, we'd tried all sorts of inks and stamps and techniques. I pulled out product I'd had for years, but never used because I didn't quite know what to do with it. Now I'm using my inks and stamps all of the time and actually getting use out of them! Some of the inks we played with I'd had for 10 years and was even thinking of adding to my next purge pile.   :-O

We quickly had all sorts of inks flying all over the place and had used up an entire can of compressed air.

Experimentation gone wrong. Here we learned that you cannot stamp first and splat second.

A few more experiments gone wrong... along with a few that went right :)


So here's my plug ladies: Play with your supplies! Learn how they work and what they do on different mediums, using different techniques. Or, if you're a little less independently experimental, then find a class at your local scrapbook store and learn something new today! :)

No comments: