Monday, March 26, 2012

Creative Chemistry 101 - Day 6


Drum roll please...

Today's the day I've been waiting for...

That's right, it's Distress Markers day!
*crowd cheers wildly*
Is this not just one of the yummiest photos ever? :)


Watercolor with Markers Technique
Okay, so this technique might not be for me. I tried it several different ways and had trouble replicating what Tim was doing. There might be a reason that my past attempts at watercoloring worked better with my fingers than a brush. Plus I really don't like the whole "watercolor" look, but some of the samples in the class gallery were sooooo pretty that I thought I'd at least give it a go. And that I did, with menial success. I'll spare you the gory details and just post samples of the epic fails so you all know I'm human... LOL! (Keep calm and scroll on. I promise to redeem myself by the end of this post.)

 Epic fail 1.0

Epic fail 2.0

 Epic fail 3.0

And finally, epic fail 4.0


Stamping with Markers Technique
 Ah, finally... this is where it gets good again. Whew! I was worried for a minute there!
I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E this technique. I may replicate it everywhere and oh, my... can't you just imagine this background swapped out for a snowy wintery scene?

Now keep in mind that this is your every day "spritz n' flick" technique, but when you're working with the new Specialty Stamping Paper from Ranger you get a whole new effect from this same, super simple technique.

So you can see I once again broke out my trusty dress form stamp and "standard" palette to try out stamping with markers. Good news! It didn't disappoint. I love how subtle the transitions are from one color to the next.
Stamped image is first generation on specialty stamping paper.
Distress Markers: barn door, worn lipstick, spun sugar, spiced marmalade, mustard seed, crushed olive, shabby shutters, broken china, tumbled glass, black soot (left edge).
Distress inks (background): pumice stone, dusty concord.

 Must make note to self, distress markers are the markers that just keep on giving! Check out this second generation image! Love the softness this creates.

Oh, but wait! We're not done yet! This is a THIRD generation image from the same inking, just misted the stamp with water to stamp with a watercolor effect. Look how the colors just come back to live and pop vibrantly against the white background. 

I soooo have to remember to get more use out of each stamp inking and not just automatically reach for the cleaner after the first generation image is done.

No comments: