Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Creative Chemistry 101 - Day 7


Embossing powders. Love the look, hate the mess. Truly, I'm only doing this for Tim! (Because you all know how much I hate a mess!)
Nostalgic Batik
First up in today's creative adventure is using embossing powders in a batik fashion. I have to admit that I didn't take it all the way to the batik level (embossing was more than enough hassle for today... we don't need to add an iron to this crazyness!)

Version 1.0 was clearly an epic fail as well. Couple of notes here: Even when using a super fine detail embossing powder, stamps that are really intricate, too small, or semi-distressed won't hold enough powder to do this techinque justice. So scroll on by to see version 2.0... 

All around this one was a much more successfull effort. 
(I still didn't haul out the iron so this i more "embossed resist" than "embossed batik.")
 Flowers: Distress ink in Spiced Marmalade; Super Fine Detail embossing powder from Ranger.
Background Distress Inks: tumbled glass, peeled pain, broken china, crushed olive, dusty concord. (Sprayed with water and blotted with cloth.)
Edges Distress Inks: Walnut stain (applied inkpad directly to edges)
Weeds are stamped in Vintage Photo


Rusted Enamel Technique
I am frequently inspired by colors, designs, and patinas I spot at junk stores, so I was particularly excited to learn this technique! In Tim's version he used an assortment of browns, but in my world rusted patinas tend to be more aquas and oranges so I made a few substitutions... I'm sure he won't mind. :)  I also didn't have any regular embossing powder (as Tim recommends) so I used super fine again here as well. I had a little trouble getting the blending tool to work in a sufficient amount of ink so I also just went direct to paper (with the inkpad) for this one too.
Background Distress Inks: Tumbled Glass, Evergreen bow, Rusty hinge


Distress Powder Resist
Not one of my favorites, so just posting the picture and moving on. (Although I can see some potential for combining the rusted enamel and this technique to create some cool rusted metal effects. ...Will have to try that later.)
Distress Powder: Tattered Rose
Distress Inks: peeled paint, shabby shutters, worn lipstick, walnut stain

2 comments:

pmstamper said...

Awesome work. I love how you are using that file folder page rather than a tag to do your techniques. Is that from a die cut?

Mollie Deem said...

Its a modified silhouette file. I am planning to bind them into a little book once i have them all finished.