Tuesday, February 26, 2013

March/April Issue of Creating Keepsakes available now

 

Hello bloggy friends. Just poppin' by on the blog today to let you know that the March/April issue of Creating Keepsakes is on newsstands now! (And if you're already a subscriber, you probably got your issue last week.)

I have a layout in this issue featuring my one of my favorite lines (Midway from October Afternoon) with one of my favorite artists, Toby Mac. Truth be told... 99% of the time I'm rockin' out to Toby Mac when I scrapbook.

My husband and I went to a Toby Mac + Jamie Grace + Tenth Avenue North concert at the Iowa State Fair this past summer for our 11th Anniversary. One of the songs, literally called "Favorite Song" (click the link to hear a sample of the song), is so happy and bouncy that I new that I just had to make a layout with vibrant color and washi tape to capture the energy of this song and the concert. Plus, the concert was at the state fair last summer so of course using Midway was a no-brainer!

 
As seen in the March/April 2013 of Creating Keepsakes magazine.
Copyright Creative Crafts Group. Posted with prior permission from the publisher.

The washi tape background was my creative representation of the movement of an equalizer for the music on the offbeat (the "oompah" rhythm).

Part way through the concert, Toby & the other performers moved up into the grandstand to perform and were about 9 rows in front of us. We filmed part of the concert using HD video on our cell phones, so I used Adobe Premiere to clip a few frames from that part of the performance and put those in the filmstrip on the page. I love how the October Afternoon washi tape provides the perfect place to put a few little journaling details.
 
 
I originally had the names of the bands on some label stickers from October Afternoon, but decided the right side of the page needed a little more, so I covered up the type with a word stickers and added a little arrow stamp to the image cluster. Using a first and second generation stamp image gives you a little extra variety without needing 2 different ink colors.
 
The little stars were created by placing a strip of washi tape on cardstock, and then punching out the star shapes with a small hand punch. Super cute!
Before

After
 
On newsstands Tuesday, February 26
 

I hope you've enjoyed this little "behind the scenes" look at how the page came together. Check out the Creating Keepsakes feature article, Accentuate the Negative, on page 71 to learn more about the other elements on this page. If you're getting snowed in today (like me) and can't get out to purchase a copy, here's a little sneak peek of the issue. Happy creating!

No comments: